• Authorized Legal Representative

    Bound by law and love An Authorized Legal Representative (ALR) can open an ABLE account for an eligible beneficiary. An ALR is anyone who is selected by the eligible beneficiary with legal capacity, anyone who has Power of Attorney, a conservator or legal guardian, a spouse, parent, sibling,...

  • Benefits

    Your benefits are here to stay When you open an account, you won’t lose your state or federal benefits. A STABLE account helps you supplement your current benefits in order to save for eligible expenses. If you’re receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you can have up to $100,000 in the...

  • Can a Social Security Representative Payee open an account for a beneficiary?

    If you’re an eligible beneficiary with a Representative Payee, you can open an account for yourself. If you have legal capacity, you may select a Representative Payee to open and manage an account for you. Otherwise, to have a Representative Payee open and manage an account for you, they must...

  • Can an Authorized Legal Representative and beneficiary both have a STABLE Visa® Card?

    If you’re the Authorized Legal Representative (ALR) for someone, you can order a card for yourself to make purchases for the beneficiary, a card for the beneficiary, or both. Each card has its own balance and spending controls, so you decide how funds will be used. The beneficiary will not have...

  • Can I close and transfer my STABLE account to a different ABLE program?

    Yes, but you can make only one rollover every 12 months. Use the STABLE Account rollover forms to start the process.

  • Can I connect more than one bank account to a STABLE account?

    Yes. We’ve made it easier to access and handle STABLE funds by allowing you to securely log in and connect multiple bank accounts. This makes it easier to manage and grow your STABLE account, while also providing you with more control over how to withdraw funds for eligible expense.

  • Can I contribute money with a credit card?

    Not at this time. Contributions are primarily made by mailing in a check or by transferring funds into your STABLE account from a bank account.

  • Can I enroll and manage a STABLE account with a paper form?

    The easiest and fastest way to enroll and manage a STABLE account is online. If you want to use paper forms for enrollment or managing your account, you can find the forms here.

  • Can I get cash or use the card at an ATM?

    Unfortunately, your card cannot be used to get cash or withdraw money from ATMs. 

  • Can I limit spending to certain categories?

    Yes. Once you receive your STABLE Visa® Card, you can log in and set customized restrictions on certain spending categories and you can also turn on SMS alerts to notify you of a range of activity on your card.* Your settings can be updated at any time by logging in to your STABLE Visa Card...